Wednesday, 8 June 2016

54 holes later...




Last week, I was lucky enough to be able to take some time off work and spend it with my wonderful better half
 
As it was his last week in Kent before the summer we decided that, as well as packing all his belongings and cleaning his flat, we'd go out for a couple of day trips. 
 
On Thursday, we jumped into my car and headed off to the Hastings. Wikipedia describes Hastings like this: 
Hastings /ˈhstɪŋz/ is a historic town and borough in the county of East Sussex, within the historic county of Sussex, on the south coast of England. The town is located 24 mi (39 km) east of the county town of Lewes and 53 mi (85 km) south east of London, and has an estimated population of 90,254,[2] which makes it the 66th largest settlement in the United Kingdom.[3]Historically, Hastings can claim fame from the Battle of Hastings, and later because it became one of the medieval Cinque Ports. Hastings was, for centuries, an important fishing port; although nowadays less important, it still has the largest beach-based fishing fleet in Europe. The town became a popular spot for 'taking the waters' (therapeutic bathing in the sea) in the 1760s, and then, with the coming of the railway, a seaside resort.
Hastings is a really wonderful place. It's pretty lively, a lot livelier than I ever remember it being from when I was younger, but maybe that's just because I didn't have my parents telling me what to do this time. 

There's quite a lot to do and see in Hastings. It's 1066 town so it's got quite a lot of historical significance. You can visit the castle and there's also an aquarium and something called "Smuggler's Adventures" which I went to when I was younger and remember being quite cool. 

Ben and I decided to have ourselves a little mini golf tournament this time instead of visiting anything in particular. It was brilliant from start to finish. 54 holes later and it was clear to us both that Ben definitely has a golfing edge over me. Nonetheless, it was lovely getting out and doing something completely different that we wouldn't normally do. And for three different courses, it actually wasn't too expensive either! 

We also headed to the amusement arcades on the pier, to waste some loose change on those annoying crane things that no one ever wins from. Regardless of the lack of prizes, it was probably one of the most enjoyable days I'd had in a while. 

Spending time with Ben is so important to me, and I've been fortunate enough to spend significant lengths of time with him since he came back to Kent in January after Christmas. We've been together pretty much every weekend and it's been wonderful, but it's always nice to visit somewhere new and do something different.

Our afternoon in Hastings was awesome and I'm definitely looking forward to going back some day (and hopefully beating Ben at mini golf this time!). 


instagram | twitter | goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment